Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sarvangasana - Shoulder Stand

And, here we are in March already! I hope everyone is enjoying the Yoga Challenge thus far! I love reading all the different posts and getting new perspectives - please keep them coming! Thanks to everyone for participating. On that note, we need to fill some dates for March and April (refer to the Blogger Calendar on the right hand side of the blog.)
Please email Amy at amyneu28@hotmail.com with a date of your liking. Now, on to the Good Stuff....

My name is Elizabeth Bono and I have been practicing yoga on and off for
about 12 years.  I have taught senior/chair yoga off and on for around 9
years.  My favorite pose is Shoulder Stand or Sarvangasana  (of course I
have never done this with my seniors!)  The reason this is my favorite is
that I feel it opening up my shoulders and neck and I just feel very relaxed
afterwards.  Here is some additional information about shoulder stand:

The Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana)

Next to the headstand, this posture is considered one of the best asanas.
But without the deep breathing with this exercise, it does not have much
therapeutic value and will not be considered a yoga posture.

This asana is sometimes called a "candle" because the body is kept straight
as a candle in this posture.

This asana is equally important for both men and women. It can be tried by
persons of all age levels.

The main benefit of the shoulder stand is to get the thyroid gland working
at peak efficiency. It's the thyroid gland which is mainly responsible for
your correct weight and youthful appearance. 
The shoulder stand also regulates the sex glands. 
It vitalizes the nerves, purifies the blood and promote good circulation,
strengthens the lower organs and helps them to stay in place. 
It gives a healthy stretch to the neck muscles. 
It is beneficial for people suffering from poor circulation, constipation,
indigestion, asthma and reduced virility. 
This pose is especially recommended for women after childbirth and for those
suffering from painful menstruation, other female disorders, and seminal
weakness. 
The Sanskrit name for this posture sarvangasana means 'all the body'.

Time:

Retain this position for fifteen seconds to six minutes, adding fifteen
seconds per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment