Sunday, March 18, 2012

Observations of the benefits of yoga from a non yogi


Well, yoga friends, this post is not from a true blue yogi, but we had no one scheduled for today (I need people to blog again, so PRETTY PLEASE contact me to set up a date!!!) And, last night my hubby said "why I don't I write one for you?" And I thought to myself "why the heck not - this could be enlightening." And so, when I returned from Sacred Sunday Yoga, he was busily typing up the post. Love that man. And I think this is pretty funny. Especially about the yoga skirt. (Which I returned, by the way. Decided it was a little silly for my lifestyle....even though it looks adorable on my sister and I hope she keeps hers!!!)
This post isn’t about a favorite yoga move, class or first hand perspective on why yoga is the bomb.  Instead, this is an account of the benefits of yoga from someone who doesn’t do it but receives benefits nonetheless. 
My wife has been doing yoga for several years now and in the last two I would say has reached addictive levels – I mean, who has a yoga skirt and whose kids know not only what tree pose is but how to do it…better than their Dad????
When we met, 14 years ago, my wife played soccer, did several fun runs a year and jumped around in various aerobic classes.  She was ultra competitive and would do just about anything to win. 
Then, after having blown out an ACL, having two kids and very effectively managing the chaos that is our household she started doing yoga. Maybe it was just her maturing and learning that winning isn’t the most important thing, or maybe she realized that in the end the only one you truly compete with is yourself and yoga is the best way to do that.  Regardless, outside of a circuit or spin class she does once or twice a week, yoga is now her staple…and from my perspective…that is FANTASTIC…you ask why…well, let me list the positive attributes of yoga as I observe them through my wife:

When she leaves she is of one mindset, when she returns from class she is of another (I’ll let you decide which one is ‘good’ and ‘bad’)
            Slowing down and living in the moment
            Muscle tone – long and lean
    Increased flexibility (wink wink!)
            Hot yoga clothes
            Passion for something positive
            Focus on self – how often does she get to do this?
            A great option for birthday/Christmas/valentines day presents
    Ability to relax
    Did I mention the flexibility???
So, while I may be as flexible as a 2x4 and as interested in doing yoga as my wife is in joining me on the squash court, I am glad that she is passionate about yoga for all the above reasons.  Most importantly however because it makes her happy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment